02 May, 2007

My Office Space

After five months working at the same desk, I've been moved to a new location in the office. (For those of you who don't know, I'm working as a Geographic Information System technician at an environmental consulting company. GIS is essentially computerized mapping.)

I really liked where I was. I was with my friends, C-Jae and Pierre, who also do GIS work for the company. I had a nice big desk to spread my air photos out, and I had two large monitors for digitizing my maps on. The room had a wall full of large windows providing plenty of daylight. It was terrific!

Here is a photo of me happily working at my old desk. By the way, that's a mirror stereoscope on the desk in front of me. It allows one to view pairs of overlapped aerial photos in 3D! Very cool stuff.


Last week a new employee was hired. She's doing GIS stuff as well, so in order for her to get up to speed, she needs to work with Pierre so he can help her along. I had to give up my desk to her.

I was moved to the far corner of the building, into a windowless room, far from any natural light. Here's a picture of me working on my TPS report in my new location. At least I still have my stapler....


Okay so that's not really my new desk; it's the cabinet next to my desk. I am, however, down to just one monitor (until we get a new power bar, I have nowhere to plug anything else in), and there are no windows to the outside. Fortunately I'm working with my friend Alanna now, and Christina is within ear shot, which is good too. We take little breaks through-out the day and chat a little bit. Christina's computer is connected to the Internet and she is kind enough to give me weather reports from time to time.

RICK

"Milt, we're gonna need to go ahead and move you downstairs into storage B. We have some new people coming in, and we need all the space we can get. So if you could just go ahead and pack up your stuff and move it down there, that would be terrific, OK?"

3 Comments:

Blogger Bryan Moyer Suderman said...

Nice office, Rick! Sounds like a good... ummm... fit...

I saw your fellow Whizbang Shuffler in Kansas a bit ago (see my April 17 post), and have been enjoying the CD... Great stuff! Thanks!

03 May, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classic movie=Classic Rick! Love it. I wish I had a stapler at work.
Skari

03 May, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As true, a classic. Oh, and for the record, I have a Milton red swingline stapler (you can get them at staples for $30) its the bomb, top notch quality. Oh and I did see the memo.

Enjoy your dungeon, its probably about as bright as mine. But I sometimes wear a yellow shirt to add some light. Maybe this Friday should be a Hawaiian shirt day. In honor of our cubicles.

peace out...Derek

22 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home